Do we need social media?
*Adapted from Sarah Milstein’s Web 2.0 presentation.
To some, social media if the next logical extension of their marketing and communications efforts. To others, social media is just “one more thing” to check or create.
How can you decide is social media is right for your department? First, ask yourself the following questions.
- Why do we want to create a social media presence?
- What will be different in 3, 6, or 12 months as a result of our social media account?
- With whom are we hoping to connect?
- What kind of information is interesting to them?
- Who in our office will be responsible for updating social media?
- How often will we update?
- Who will contact WVU-ES Communications to obtain the proper logos and disclaimer clauses?
- What might go wrong? How will we handle each of these scenarios?
- Do we have enough content to make the page interesting?
- What expectations might people have of us?
Related LinksWVU-ES Social Media Guidelines
What you should know before you being using social media for WVU Extension Service purposes.
Personal Accounts and Social Networking
Protect your privacy when using a social media account.
Social Media Standards
Read these standards before you create your WVU Extension social media account. Social Media Graphics
View and download appropriately sized images for your social media profile photos.